Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chapter 8 Question 3


I liked all the different types of concepts that chapter eight has offered. I never really thought about the different ways of arguing. One concept that caught my eye would be arguments by elimination. It caught my eye because how they mentioned Sherlock Holmes and I knew he was a really good detective so I wanted to know more about this type of argumentation. So I learned that you have to rule out any possibility when doing your argument and when you have the last possibility then it must be the answer. We use this everyday too like when we want to find something like lets say your keys. If you retrace your steps and check each place you were until you have your last place it could be then that is when you find your keys. Another way of elimination would be a disjunctive syllogism. Which is when you only use two different possibilities. Such as my keys are either in my jeans or on the table because those were the only places you would put your keys. If you checked your table then it must be in your jeans. I like this type of argumentation because whatever is last is always the answer.  

3 comments:

  1. I think that an argument by elimination is really important. I’m glad that you were able to relate this to everyday life. Sherlock Holmes clearly used the argument by elimination to figure out what happened to the racehorse. I have used argument by elimination without even knowing it. I also never thought about the different types of arguments. I think that as humans, we naturally question things and wonder about them, but using the different types of deductive arguments we can figure out things easier. I personally do not know much about Sherlock Holmes. The only thing I know about him was that he was a detective, but I learned a little bit more about him in Chapter 8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romel,

    I also find argument by elimination effective, but I can also see where it may not be so. I use it often (without even realizing it), like the example that you used of finding lost keys and eliminating every possible location that they wouldn't be in. I also use it when I can't figure out what topic I want to write about in a paper, etc. This process has given me problems in the past however. I have found myself compiling a list of possibilities that almost seems endless. I think that when it comes to certain things it may be a good idea to use it, but when you are one hundred percent clueless, you'll need to find a new and more effective method.

    -CesarCOMM41

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chapter 8 does have a lot to offer with different concepts. The different style of arguments are interesting. The concept of arguments by elimination reminds me of a automotive mechanic and how he has too do his job. It’s similar to Sherlock Holmes and detective work. Yet, one thing that an automotive mechanic does is to find the problem in a car. They usually principle of use process of elimination to find the source does create that. Whatever comes to the conclusion seems to be the last choice that does make sense. This is a great example that you give. Thank you. . .

    ReplyDelete