Saturday, November 10, 2012

Chapter 11 Question 1


After reading chapter eleven about the media I have learned a few things. I already knew that the media was usually biased and there were always thing out there trying to get us to buy their things. Reading the chapter taught me about the extent of everything of like how there is bias in the news. Like how the news can reinforce my view on something of like a city when it shows a lot of violence of the city. So if I viewed a city as violent and the next day the news shows a report of violence in the city then it helps reinforce my view. An opposite example of that would be when the news challenges my views like if I think that the doing something is bad like drinking any alcohol is bad is not true. Like I found out back then that drinking a little bit of wine every day is good for you. That was an example that challenged my view since I always had the impression that alcohol was not good for you.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the media is biased. Especially with the recent election, some networks seem to cover and favor republicans more and some favor democrats. I believe that news stations and the media really should be neutral and show both sides to everything. Although this doesn't happen, i believe this is up to the audience to not only rely on one source of media, but to also do research on their own from other sources in order to get a better worldview on topics. If everyone did research and did not rely on only one source, everyone would make much more educated decisions rather than biased decisions shaped by media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, the media is a strong source of what we view a lot of things today. Since the first time we saw commercials, magazine stands, billboards, and etc. our view of the world revolves a lot around what the media shows to the public. It’s a good tactic on their part since it produces profit for them, but a lot of it influences as to generalize about a lot of things. You bring a good example about how some news stations show a city that is violent because of what they have captured on tape and show it to the public. That right there is a direct influence to our views about that said city and then it becomes something we start believing in. Just because they showed that the city is violent, we then tend to believe it is as well. Media has a strong effect on us all since it is easily seen and that is what usually controls our views about many things.

    ReplyDelete